WFM 6202: Remote Sensing and GIS in Water Management:
Semester: October 2007
Part-B: Geographical Information System (GIS)
Akm Saiful Islam
Assistant Professor, IWFM, BUET
Phone: 880-2-9664640 ~ 44 PABX Ext 7923
2. Class Hours:
Monday (subject to change) 4:20p.m. - 5:50p.m. (Ground Floor, IWFM)
3. Office Hours:
Monday (subject to change) 3:50p.m. - 4:20p.m. (Room 306-2, IWFM)
4. Course Content:
Concepts of GIS; Spatial data: sources, acquisition and entry; Database; Vector and raster data; Data analysis; GIS output; Integration of remote sensing and GIS; Application of remote sensing and GIS in water resources modeling and management.
5. Grading Policy (subject to change):
Mid Term = 20% Final Exam = 40% Assignment =20%
Mini Project =15% Attendance = 5%
Introduction to remote sensing; Principles of remote sensing; Remote sensing systems; Digital image processing; Concepts of GIS; Spatial data: sources, acquisition and entry; Database; Vector and raster data; Data analysis; GIS output; Integration of remote sensing and GIS; Application of remote sensing and GIS in water resources modeling and management.
7. Lecture Topics:
8. Hands on Training:
on the application of GIS in water modeling and management
Hands on training on locating buildings vulnerable to flood damage
Digital Terrain Analysis:
Generation of rainfall contour map using spatial analysis of GIS
Developing ground water level map for Dinajpur district, Bangladesh using geo-statistical analyst data: file
Application of GIS in Watershed Analysis
Locate potential sites for hot springs resort.
Geo-referencing of a scanned soil map
9. Mini Project:
- Guideline: Students are advise to select a topic relevant to their profession.
- Report: 10 page report written in Ms Word, due on Last week. Report should contain - introduction to the problem, methodology, results, conclusion.
- Presentation: Each group will present their study at the end of the semester
10. Software: ArcGIS 9.2, ILWIS 3.4
1. Introduction to Geographic Information Systems - by Kang-Tsung Chang
(Hands on Training Text)
2. GIS Work Book, Part-I Fundamentals , Part-II Technical - by Shunji Murai (Main Text)
Online Version: http://ksrs.or.kr/library/index.htm
Last updated on February 16, 2008
(c) Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology